Friday, January 04, 2008

How's this for positive thinking?

A 102-year-old Southampton man is set to emigrate to New Zealand. Eric King-Turner will become the oldest Brit to emigrate when he sets sail tomorrow, January 5.

He's travelling from Southampton , on a six week trip with his Kiwi wife Doris, 87, to start a new life 12,000 miles away.

Retired dentist Eric, who will turn 103 weeks after they arrive, said it's not about making history - he doesn't want to be in the Guinness Book of Records.

"What's important is that when I'm 105 I don't want to be thinking, 'I wish I'd moved to the other side of the world when I was 102'."

The pair, both widowed, married 13 years ago after meeting in the 1970s while tracing family. They lived in Titchfield, Hants, but mum-of-five Doris kept a home in Nelson on the South Island.

Eric said: "It's not so crowded and the weather's better. It's a wonderful adventure."

Good luck to them both!

No comments: