Thursday, September 27, 2007

Wheelie-Chic!
Well, one of the distinct advantages of being my own boss now is the freedom to lounge around in my PJs watching Lorraine Kelly on GMTV. Usually it's just frothy stuff that dosn't tax my brain too much before I have to start working (and it beats waiting at the bus stop in the rain like I used to have to...)

This morning I was half watching while drinking my first coffee of the day when something caught my eye - it was Kerry McGregor (one of last year's X Factor finalists) helping to promote Wheelie-chix-chic - a new range of clothes designed for women in wheelchairs.

The idea was developed by Louisa Summerfield, who was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis when she was just nine years old. The autumn/winter '07 and spring/Summer 08 collections have been designed by Swedish designer Amelia Ursache, a previous Elle Fashion Award winner.

Louisa says:

"We are a unique fashion concept designing clothes that are specifically tailored for wheelchair women. All our designs enhance and flatter a woman's body when sitting and yet at the same time are ultra fashionable, elegant and chic."

Brilliant idea!

Louisa applied to the British Fasion Council to be allowed to exhibit the collection as part of London Fashion Week, but they turned her down (and I thought they were supposed to be innovative and forward-thinking?) but undeterred, Louisa decided to go ahead with her own show.

"I took our designs to the British Fashion Council thinking they would jump at the chance for WheelieChix-Chic to exhibit on the catwalk at London Fashion Week, but when our application was unsuccessful I just knew the show still had to go on and so I set about organising our own fashion show.
I'm a wheelchair user myself and I'm sick and tired of making do with conventional high street fashion. I'm a big believer in that fashion should be for everyone and not just the standing up body beautiful".

Here's to that!


No comments: